Moving to Nashville, New York etc. to Make it in Music

Jay

Is it a good idea? Does technology these days change the game? Myself, I think tech makes a difference, but a lot of times it's still a good idea to move to an area full of musicians, a musician culture.

Is it a good idea? Does technology these days change the game? Myself, I think tech makes a difference, but a lot of times it's still a good idea to move to an area full of musicians, a musician culture.
I think moving to Nashville can at least be a career if you are good enough to perform in the bars. I feel like moving anywhere else wouldn't help too much

I don’t find it necessary anymore with the internet existing.

There’s also like 8 billion bar bands in Nashville, so the competition there is really high.

Also, a lot of the famous studios aren’t even in those locations, so there isn’t much incentive for that either.

There are also different scenes in different locations. So them just being musicians doesn’t cut it a lot of the time. You gotta be in a place that plays music you’re interested in.

If you wanna just jam and play 80’s classic rock songs, and that’s all people want to play over there, you’ll be in heaven. If you want to play something else, you’ll be hard pressed to find someone to play with.

I think you gotta pay your dues to sing the blues. Well, in my case, I haven't played in bands since high school. In fact, I could even get a popular music website, but still there's the elephant in the room, the what-if.

I don’t find it necessary anymore with the internet existing.

There’s also like 8 billion bar bands in Nashville, so the competition there is really high.

Also, a lot of the famous studios aren’t even in those locations, so there isn’t much incentive for that either.

There are also different scenes in different locations. So them just being musicians doesn’t cut it a lot of the time. You gotta be in a place that plays music you’re interested in.

If you wanna just jam and play 80’s classic rock songs, and that’s all people want to play over there, you’ll be in heaven. If you want to play something else, you’ll be hard pressed to find someone to play with.

You can't escape competition, but you gotta be brave enough to challenge it.

Last edited:
I think you missed my point where you’re going to have trouble finding like minded musicians to play with.
The scene in Nashville is probably as open minded as New York. In fact, it's known as the "third coast". Anyway, I'm sure it's a little harder to reach more non-mainstream people, but I'm guessing easier than you say.

The scene in Nashville is probably as open minded as New York. In fact, it's known as the "third coast". Anyway, I'm sure it's a little harder to reach more non-mainstream people, but I'm guessing easier than you say.
Honestly, outside of country music, you don’t hear a lot about bands/artists coming out of Nashville, or albums being recorded there. Then there’s the metric ton of bar cover bands who want to play the same generic 80’s classic rock songs.

I lived there for 4 years, and it isn’t this Mecca of musicians like you’re claiming, unless you really love country music.

Only if your heart is in the right place & you know realistically the majority never become famous. But if one does it NOT for the money, then I say follow your heart. :)

Only if your heart is in the right place & you know realistically the majority never become famous. But if one does it NOT for the money, then I say follow your heart. :)
Fame doesn't have to come from being in a band. A side project besides a band could give people enough fame.

Back