Punk Rock

Jay

Punk Rock was a rebellion against lack of aggression in music, over-complexity in music, corporate elitism, and music that didn't speak to what was seen as real social problems.

Anyway, this is a generalization, and it's not true to varying degrees. Well, how do you feel about this genre? Do you play it? Why might some be hostile to it?

I love punk music. The only hostility I see towards it is either from uptight parents, or music snobs that think music quality is equal to the complexity of the song.

I love punk music. The only hostility I see towards it is either from uptight parents, or music snobs that think music quality is equal to the complexity of the song.
It's definitely not about complexity, but nonetheless, punkers can become elitist also, as they can be closed-minded to anything complex.

It's definitely not about complexity, but nonetheless, punkers can become elitist also, as they can be closed-minded to anything complex.
Punk fans are probably the second biggest elitists in rock. Second only to metal fans. Both of them are like "we're nonconfirmist, but you're a poser if you don't conform to us.

Punk isn't entirely anti-complex music. There's definitely subgenres came from punk that delves into complex territory. Math Rock/Mathcore, and variations of Post-Hardcore that get into complex territory.

Punk fans are probably the second biggest elitists in rock. Second only to metal fans. Both of them are like "we're nonconfirmist, but you're a poser if you don't conform to us.

Punk isn't entirely anti-complex music. There's definitely subgenres came from punk that delves into complex territory. Math Rock/Mathcore, and variations of Post-Hardcore that get into complex territory.
It boils down to not caring what other think. That's my philosophy in life. ;)

It boils down to not caring what other think. That's my philosophy in life. ;)
That is how some subgenres got made. Some bands were criticized for not being “true punk” and are now legends and you’re a “poser” for not liking them now.

That is how some subgenres got made. Some bands were criticized for not being “true punk” and are now legends and you’re a “poser” for not liking them now.
I like everything. Call me a wuss. I don't care. :giggle:

As far as what music is played, they might have good reason for their rules.
It’s almost entirely people just gatekeeping. Kind of ironic for the rebellious genre to have a community forcing people to conform to their rules.

Back