Retire a Collection

Reverie

As music progresses and there is new technology there are new and different ways to listen to music.

My knowledge is when cassette tapes went out and there is no new available ways to listen to them. Have you retired your cassette tapes? What did you do with them? What about CDs? I know we can still manage a way to listen to CDs - but do you have any, have you gotten rid of any?

As music progresses and there is new technology there are new and different ways to listen to music.

My knowledge is when cassette tapes went out and there is no new available ways to listen to them. Have you retired your cassette tapes? What did you do with them? What about CDs? I know we can still manage a way to listen to CDs - but do you have any, have you gotten rid of any?
I have CDs in a holder but haven’t used them in a long time. I grew up right after cassettes were a thing so never owned any. Anyone remember those miniclip music player things? Those never really took off but may have been marketed for kids anyways.

I haven’t ever sold any musical cd

I wouldn't throw away old music because it cost too much to buy it. Well, that's one reason and another one is the nostalgia factor. Any more reasons?

I wouldn't throw away old music because it cost too much to buy it. Well, that's one reason and another one is the nostalgia factor. Any more reasons?
Some people prefer the sound on certain formats. Some people like the warbling of tapes, the crackling of vinyl, or the CD being in lossless.

Some also just want a physical collection.

I went through a big music stage where I was so into music I was buying CDs on the weekly. I have two CD towers full of CDs that I bought during that period, but I mostly only use streaming services these days. Unfortunately, I think there is a CD stuck in my CD player in my car, so I only listen to the radio in the car. I used to listen to CDs occasionally in my car.

Some people prefer the sound on certain formats. Some people like the warbling of tapes, the crackling of vinyl, or the CD being in lossless.

Some also just want a physical collection.
As someone who knows nothing about this - what's the best sounding format ftechnically? Digital?

As someone who knows nothing about this - what's the best sounding format ftechnically? Digital?
The problem is that there’s no definitive answer. It probably should be digital, but based on some common industry practices, or which release of an album, it varies. So there isn’t a clear cut one format vs the other.

Different vinyl pressings have varying audio quality. Some remasters sound terrible, some actually sound better. Some sound better on CD versus vinyl, some backwards.

Sometimes the producer overcompresses the audio for the digital release, but due to technological limitations, the vinyl doesn’t have it, so the vinyl sounds better. Some use the identical master, so they basically sound the same.

So as you can see, it’s a complete mess and not clear cut.

The problem is that there’s no definitive answer. It probably should be digital, but based on some common industry practices, or which release of an album, it varies. So there isn’t a clear cut one format vs the other.

Different vinyl pressings have varying audio quality. Some remasters sound terrible, some actually sound better. Some sound better on CD versus vinyl, some backwards.

Sometimes the producer overcompresses the audio for the digital release, but due to technological limitations, the vinyl doesn’t have it, so the vinyl sounds better. Some use the identical master, so they basically sound the same.

So as you can see, it’s a complete mess and not clear cut.
I had a feeling that was the answer. Thanks!

I had a feeling that was the answer. Thanks!
Finding out which release of an album sounds the best is a rabbit hole, and even then, you need really nice gear to hear it. That’s yet another rabbit hole.

Even then, you’d be surprised to find out that most of the time, it’s not as drastic as audiophiles claim. There’s a ton of snake oil in that hobby.

So just stick to whatever is convenient for you, or if you find the collecting fun. To be honest, I just collect vinyl because I think the large album covers are cool.

We have a Refurbished place that takes old media from cassettes to VHS. They refurbish what they can & then recycle the rest. They help create jobs in this field while helping the environment.
We still use CDs & I prefer that over digital.

Back